Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup- Healthified!


Now that the weather has finally started to turn cooler (thank God!), I am more than excited to pull out all of my favorite cool-weather dishes.
One of my favorite things to eat when it's cold is soup, but usually the soups that I find are chalked full of fattness, creaminess, and cheese. (omg, yum....!) The problem is, when I eat too many of those things, my jeans won't fit, and I've already ripped a hole in the seat of one pair this fall. :( But that's getting off topic.
Anyway, I was watching "Down Home with the Neelys" on food network, and saw them making a healthy version of chicken tortilla soup. Well, it didn't take me long to combine some of the things they used to make their soup healthy with some of my favorite ingredients from my cheesy, Velveeta version-(stay tuned for that, it's amazing!!!)

Ok, enough chit-chat. Let's get started.

Here's what you'll need:
-48 oz. low sodium, 98% fat free chicken broth
-3/4 white onion, chopped
-1 green bell pepper, chopped
-1 red bell pepper, chopped
-1 can of corn
-1 can black beans
-1 can Rotel
-2 chicken breasts (cooked and then chopped)
-fiesta lime seasoning-lots of it!
-garlic salt
-pepper and salt to taste
-some jalapeño juice and jalapeños from a jar
-topping: shredded 2% cheese and crunched tortilla chips

This is so easy to make, it's almost ridiculous.

-First, cook your chicken
-In a large pot, combine chicken broth, onion, both bell peppers, can of corn, beans, and Rotel under med/low heat.
-While that's going, I'm usually chopping up my chicken. Add it when you've finished.
-Add Fiesta Lime seasoning (about 1/2 a tablespoon at first, if you want, you can add more later)
- Add garlic salt and pepper (about a teaspoon of each
- Add 4-8 jalapeños, plus a tablespoon of juice, depending on how spicy you like it. I say, the hotter, the better!
-Let simmer and cook for 45 min, or until the soup begins to thicken slightly.
-Serve in a bowl and top with shredded cheese and crunched tortilla chips.

Enjoy a very guilt free, warm and hearty fall soup!!
Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment