Saturday, December 10, 2011

Oysters Rockefeller Bouchee

Elegant Dinner Party, Part 1: Appetizers


 In my latest adventure in the kitchen, I took a fabulous cooking class on Wednesday night by Jenny Scott. I grew up down the street from the Scotts when I was little, and when we reconnected (via facebook, of course), I was so excited to hear that she does cooking classes! After taking one look at her website: www.kitchenessentialswithjenny.com,  I just knew I had to go! My mom, Jane, and I all decided to take the "Elegant Dinner Party" class, because we were dying to take individual beef wellingtons (those are amazing- stay tuned for those in a day or two!), but when I realized we would be making Oysters Rockefeller for an appetizer, I was even more excited!!
I love, love, love oysters, but I have always been really intimidated to make them. I will be honest, though, these really weren't all that hard to make!  Pretty much the only thing that required much effort was the creamed spinach- which was well worth it. Another thing that made it easier was that instead of serving them in their oyster shells like they do at restaurants, these are made with prosciutto as the shell. Not only were these surprisingly easy to make, they were absolutely heaven in my mouth. I'm not kidding. They were incredibly delicious. I could have eaten all of them by myself. Yummmm.... I am definitely making these next time I have guests over!
Oh, and by the way, in case you're like me and didn't know what Bouchee meant, it is French for mouthful.

Alright, let's get started!
Here's what you'll need:
Creamed Spinach
1 tbs Canola oil
1/2 small white or yellow onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 (10 ounces) package frozen chopped spinach (Thawed and drained throughly-very dry)
1 1/2 cups of half-and-half
2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne
2 to 3 drops Worcestershire sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons anise-flavored liqueur (Like Sambuca)
salt and pepper to taste
Rockefeller
vegetable oil spray
12 slices prosciutto
1 teaspoon canola oil
12 small oysters, shucked (we used oysters from a can and they were perfect!!)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
You will also need:
mini muffin pan
3 inch round cookie cutter

Let's get started with the creamed spinach:
1. heat a medium saute pan over medium heat, add oil and heat through. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown ( about 4-5 min)
2. Add the spinach and and cook 1-2 min more
3. Whisk in the half and half. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the half and half is reduced and mixture has thickened to a sauce. (about 5 min)
4. Stir in cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, and Worcestershirer. Cook until cheese is melted (about 1 min)
Stir  in the anise flavored liquor, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Remove from heat and set aside

Now for the rockefeller:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Liberally spray muffin pan with vegetable spray
2. Use a 3"round cutter to cut 12 circles of prosciutto. Place 1 circle into each of the muffin cups to create a "cup" for when you put in the oysters later. Mince the remaining prosciutto
3. Place a small saute pan with oil on med-high heat. add the minced prosciutto and saute until crisp. Place on a paper towel until time to sprinkle over the oysters
4. Place 1 oyster in each prosciutto lined cup.
5. Top the oyster with 1 tablespoon spinach and a sprinkle of minced prosciutto. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese
6. Bake until prosciutto cups are crisp, spinach is bubbly, and Parmesan is browned (about 17 to 18 minutes)
7.Run a spatula around the edge of each cup, and then use 2 serving spoons to remove from the muffin pan.
Garnish with lemon wedges (optional)

Serve iimmediately, and trust me, you will ENJOY!


Cutting the prosciutto

Prosciutto lined cups

Cooking the spinach

Crisping the minced prosciutto

Filling the prosciutto cups with oysters, spinach, crisp prosciutto, and Parmesan

YUM!!!


The wonderful, Chef Jenny Scott and me after finishing our meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment