Sunday, October 23, 2011

Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs


Tonight I decided to try making baby back ribs- something I've wanted to try for a really long time. Well, since we were both going to be home and our dog, Buddy, couldn't hijack our slow cooker from the counter, (like he definitely would if we left something like this cooking while we were at work!) I finally had the time to be able to make it.
Have you ever heard the phrase, "this is was so it makes you wanna slap your mama?"Well, if not, now you have. These ribs I made tonight were so unbelievably amazing, they made you want to slap your mama. Sorry, Mom, it's just a saying. I still love you.  :)
Ok, but in all honesty, I was always a little intimidated to make ribs, but when I came across a recipe that said you could easily make them, in a slow cooker, I found myself buying ribs the next day.
Connor and I also decided, rated on easiness and amazingness this might be the best thing we've ever made at home.
I am so proud and excited, that I just had to go ahead and blog about these, even though the Rangers are playing in the World Series right now- which means, I'm going to go ahead and cut to the chase- lets get started!
Here's what you'll need:
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
a dash or two of Cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds of pork (baby) back ribs
1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce. I use Saltlick's sauce. You can get it at Tom Thumb-and it can go on just about everything. It will knock you socks off. It's almost like being there in Driftwood, TX

-First, combine your spices into a bowl. Rub them all over the sides of the ribs.
-Next, cut the ribs into 2 pieces, and stand them up against the wall of the crock pot. (Curved part of ribs up against curved walls of crock pot)  another way to say it: (The thicker part of the ribs should be on bottom, and meaty side of ribs against walls of crock pot)
-Pour the delicious BBQ sauce over the ribs, and cook on low for 6 hours, 30 min (we cooked ours 7 hours and thought maybe we could have cooked them a bit less) besides, the recipe said 6-8 hours.
...When they are done, don't be tempted to just go ahead and eat them as is. the next part makes them even better!
-Very carefully, remove the ribs from the crock pot, and place on a cookie sheet lines with foil. Be careful- they are so tender, they easily fall apart!
-Using a mesh strainer, remove bits of meat and fat from the sauce. Place the sauce in a saucepan on med/high, and allow to boil for 5-10 minutes. Preheat broiler
-Spoon the sauce over the ribs.
-Place ribs under broiler for 3-4 minutes
-Remove briefly, and VERY carefully, turn the ribs over to soak them in the sauce on the other side. Continue under broiler, for another 4-5 minutes. You can repeat this process a couple more times, but we were WAY to anxious to eat them!
-Remove from heat, let cool, and ENJOY!!!!!

Here are the ribs cooking- see how they are up against the wall of the crock pot? Sorry the glass was steamy- I didn't want to take off the lid and let the heat escape!

Um, best ever BBQ Sauce, and BBQ place in the WORLD!
 I could eat this by itself... I probably shouldn't tell you that, though...

Sauce is boiling...

Ribs getting some quality time under the broiler

Oh. My. Heavens.


 
Look how clean the bones are in the background!!! The meat literally fell off as we tried to move the ribs to the plate. I didn't mind though, I just ate them right up!



Black Eyed Peas:
By the way, I served the ribs with black eyed peas. I use the kind from a can, but I add some extra "fixins" to them, and they couldn't be a better match with the ribs. I've tied to do black eye peas the old fashioned way, but the results just aren't worth the time. The can is easier, cheaper, and faster.
I add:
-3 tablespoons (or more) of the Saltlick BBQ sauce
-1 tablespoon of brown sugar
-dash of pepper
-dash of garlic
-dash of paprika
Let them simmer for about 45 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. I just made these! They were SO yummy. Troy and I were licking our fingers and stuffing ourselves sick. I used Head Country BBQ sauce because that's our favorite and I don't think my ribs were "baby" back because they were big. But they were SO delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe!! We will definitely make them again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these ribs are delishious even without salt lick's barbaque

    ReplyDelete