Sunday, October 16, 2011

Strawberry Yougurt Pound Cake




Ever since I discovered Pinterest, I have wanted to make this recipe, but when I suggested it to Connor, he thought it didn't sound very good. I finally had an excuse to make it this weekend when my sister moved into her new house. I was so excited. The recipe came from aspicyperspective.com , and said prep time was 15 minutes, and I will go ahead and tell you- it took a lot longer than that for me to make it- HOWEVER- it is sooooo worth it. This cake was unbelievable, and I knew it from the moment I tasted the batter! Terrible of me, I know.
After I made it, I found Connor sneaking a piece before I took it over to my sister's, and I all but had to wrestle it away from the guy who didn't think it sounded very good in the first place. He said it might been one of the best desserts I've ever made- and he is super picky!
This cake is moist, tangy, and has a fabulous glaze that makes it seem like you are eating a little slice of heaven. Sounds corny, but it IS THAT good.
*Oh, and I also decided to include a section at the bottom of my recipes from now on that has the directions all in one place, so you don't have to scroll down as you make it. I learned that from making this recipe this time- it is hard when the steps aren't all in one place!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 Tb. lemon juice, divided
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 8 oz. plain or vanilla, greek yogurt
  • 12 oz. fresh strawberries, diced
  • 1 cup powdered sugar


Let's get started!!
-First, preheat your oven to 325, and grease your 10 inch bunt pan with butter really well
-Sift together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.


-With an electric mixer, (I had to use a hand mixer because I don't have a fancy kitchen aid mixer) cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

-Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 Tb. lemon juice. (the other 2 tbs will be used for the glaze)
-Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.
-Now, toss in the strawberries, a little bit at a time, mixing the remaining 1/4 flour with it until mixed
 Pour batter into the bunt pan, and bake for 60 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. While it's cooling, you can make the glaze- add the remaining 2 tbs of lemon juice to 1 cup of powdered sugar. Whisk together and drizzle over the cake after you have removed it from the pan.


     Here's a shot I tried in the outside "natural light"
     An up close shot of the piece Connor stole!

    Yummm! Enjoy!!!
    Instructions again:
    1. Preheat oven to 325*. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.
    2. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 Tb. lemon juice. Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.
    3. Toss the strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup of flour. Gently mix them into the batter.
    4. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
    5. Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Once cooled whisk together the remaining 2 Tb. of lemon juice and the powdered sugar. Drizzle over the top of the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment