Monday, August 1, 2011

Enchiladas

This is a recipe that I fell in love with by Ree Drummond, a.k.a., The Pioneer Woman. If you haven't checked out her blog, it is fantastic! I have made these enchiladas on several occasions, and each time, my guests are too full to even eat dessert!- so they must be good, right? I tend think so!
I will warn you, though, they are a little messy to make, but oh, so delicious and worth it!

Here's what you will need:
The Sauce:
1 tbs canola oil
2 tbs flour
1 large 28 oz can eenchilada or Mexican red sauce (I recommend you use "Hatch red enchilada sauce")
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt/pepper
2 tbs chopped cilantro
The meat:
1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey once and it was just as good)
1/2 med onion
two 4 oz cans of diced green chilies

Finishing touches:
10 tortillas
canola oil for frying tortillas
1/2 cup chopped green onions
cilantro
2-3 cups grated cheese

First, begin with the sauce. In a saucepan over med heat, add the flour and canola oil. Let bubble for about a minute. Stir in the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, salt and pepper. Allow to boil for a few seconds, then reduce heat to simmer and add the cilantro.


While that is simmering, begin cooking the meat. Brown the beef in a skillet over medium heat. As it is cooking, add the onion and both cans of green chilies. Once it has cooked, remove from heat and set in a bowl on the side.

Next, lightly fry the tortillas in a medium skillet over med heat in the canola oil. I just use about a tablespoon of oil per 2 tortillas. Allow the tortillas to get soft, but not crispy.



Almost done...
Now, using tongs, dip each tortilla into the red sauce. Set the soaked tortillas on a plate. In the tortilla, add the beef, a sprinkle of green onion, and some shredded cheese. Roll it up, and place in a greased baking dish. Repeat with each tortilla.
I'm sorry I don't have a lot of step by step pictures for this part- my hands were covered in the red sauce!
Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas, and garnish with some extra cilantro and lots of shredded cheese.


Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Let cool, and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. As one of your lucky dinner party guests, I personally atest to these enchiladas greatness! They were absolutely delicious, Lacey. I love your new blog!!

    ReplyDelete